|What is Adrenal Fatigue|
The adrenal glands are known as the stress glands located on top of each kidney. They produce many hormones; including the flight or fight hormones that are produced when under stress.
Our bodies are not made to withstand excessive production of these hormones, adrenaline and Cortisol, but unfortunately so many people today are exposed to chronic, non-stop stress. The overproduction of these hormones over time; causes the adrenals to either begin overproducing stress hormones or under-producing them; leading to multiple symptoms that can affect the entire body.
The body can help heal itself with a specific plan aimed at down regulating stress -especially emotional stress. Making serious diet, sleep, supplement, and lifestyle changes can significantly improve how you feel quickly.
- Fatigue or exhaustion
- Frequent illnesses
- Muscle aches
- Reduced memory
- Difficulty concentrating
- Insomnia or wakefulness
- Inability to lose weight
- Low sex drive
- Skin problems
- Food cravings
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
- Heart palpitations
- Digestive problems
- Over-reaction to stress / not able to handle any amount of stress
Chronic stress is the number one cause of adrenal fatigue.
This stress can be caused by: Social stress: financial, marital, familial, loneliness, anger (the worst kind of stress,) lack of sleep or chronic insomnia, chronic illness or infection, chronic pain depression, poor diet, including excessive sugar, alcohol, or caffeine, gluten intolerance or other digestive problems, use of multiple prescription drugs including history of recreational drug use.
- Remove Stressors: Take the time each day to identify emotional or situational stressors that you can eliminate.
- Stress Relief: Laughter, time with supportive friends, deep breathing, rest breaks. Take 10-30 minutes once or twice daily to lie down and close your eyes, and/or practice deep breathing. Breathing helps lower stress hormones!
- Sleep: Get at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. It is important to go to sleep by 10 p.m. because our adrenals do most of their work to repair the body between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. Avoid caffeine which may interrupt sleep patterns. And if you are photosensitive, avoid computers and TV after 8 p.m.
- Exercise: 20-30 minutes per day. Include aerobic (cardiovascular), anaerobic (weights and resistance), and flexibility (stretching or yoga). Do not overdo it; do not over-stress your body with excessive exercise.
- Diet: Diet should consist of 20-25 percent whole grains, 30-40 percent vegetables; 10-15 percent beans, nuts and seeds, 10-20 percent meat and daily, 10-15 percent good fat and 5-10 percent whole fruits:
- Eat meals and snacks every four to five hours when you are awake.
- Do not skip breakfast, EVER! Try to eat 14-21g protein at each breakfast.
- Use sea salt in place of traditional salt.
- Limit or eliminate sugary or empty calorie drinks such as juice, soda, and alcohol.
- Avoid sugary foods and processed foods, especially those with hydrogenated oils that produce trans fats.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Eat as many colorful veggies and fruits as you can regularly throughout the day.
- Balance Docs STRESS AM and STRESS PM Rx Supplements: used to correctly balance cortisol levels. To provide increase energy during the day and deep restful sleep (turning off your brain) at night time. Take 2 STRESS AM supplements in the morning and 1-2 in the afternoon. Take 2 STRESS PM supplements in the evening or at bedtime.
- Sleep RX: induce a deep, restful, restorative sleep. Take 2 at bedtime.
- Pregnenalone: taken at night for sleep and restoring memory and restfulness. Take 25-50mg.
- Vitamin C: 2000-4000mg daily with meals.
- DHEA: 10-25 mg/day (typically up to 25mg for women and up to 50mg for men).
- Licorice root: monitor blood pressure if hypertensive. This can be very helpful in reviving energy!
Testing is available for Adrenal Fatigue at Peak Medical Clinic.
Call Peak Medical Clinic today to get scheduled so you can feel better tomorrow!
Medford, OR: (541) 494-9355
Roseburg, OR: (541) 464-0788